Iron is essential to the formation and function of healthy red blood cells. An adequate amount of iron in the diet is required for blood cells to efficiently transport oxygen throughout the body. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), up to 16 percent of individuals in certain populations are deficient in iron.
Individuals who are prone to be iron or B vitamin deficient include:
- Women of menstruating age
- Individuals who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet
- Older individuals and others who tend to have less stomach acid
- Individuals who have undergone gastric bypass surgery
- Those who have intestinal conditions that affect nutrient absorption
- Individuals with an autoimmune disorder
- Signs of an iron deficiency:
- Fatigue or weakness
- Shortness of breath
- Pale skin
- Cold hands and feet
- Feeling lightheaded or dizzy
- Changes in menstrual cycles
- Decreased athletic performance
Iron is difficult for the body to absorb, and supplementing with conventional forms of iron, including ferrous sulfate, can cause gastrointestinal side effects – such as nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, and dark-colored stools. Thorne's Ferrasorb contains iron reacted with glycine to enhance its absorption in the gastrointestinal tract, thus helping to decrease the typical side effects of iron supplementation.
Why vitamin cofactors?
Iron is not the only nutrient essential for healthy red blood cells. Having a deficiency in the B vitamins can also lead to adverse issues with red blood cell formation.
Signs of B vitamin deficiency:
- Fatigue or muscle weakness
- Decreased mood quality
- Sores in the mouth or on the tongue
- Problems with memory or cognition
- Feeling of being on “pins and needles”
Ferrasorb combines the active forms of vitamin B6 (pyridoxal 5'-phosphate), vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin), and folate (L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate), along with vitamin C, with a well-absorbed form of iron – for an optimal blood-building supplement for individuals who struggle with more than simple iron deficiency.
Features of Thorne’s Ferrasorb:
- Iron provided in chelated form for optimal absorption
- Reduced GI side effects, such as nausea and constipation
- Provides 36 mg of elemental iron per capsule as Ferrochel® chelate
- Active forms of vitamins B12, B6, and folate, with vitamin C for an enhanced approach to red blood cell health